Check out the ISPO learning platform dedicated to improving the education, training, and knowledge
exchange of professionals
Canadian research groups contributed to POI in 2021
As you know, Prosthetic Orthotic International (POI) is the journal of ISPO society. This is important that as ISPO members, we support the journal with quality articles on the medical, clinical, rehabilitation, technical, educational and research aspects of prosthetics, orthotics and rehabilitation engineering.
Among the Canadian research groups, there are scholars who are members of the ISPO. In 2021, some research work in the field of P&O were highlighted in the POI. You may find it interesting to learn what research questions motivated scholars and clinicians to study individuals in need of P&O services across Canada. Interestingly, the articles were mainly dealing with lower limb, from Hip disarticulation to transtibial amputation levels. We take the opportunity to commend the research activities of our members, and hope to see more contributions from across the country to share our scholar works with other worldwide member societies.
ISPO members have complimentary access to the POI. Please find the links to the publications below for further details.
- Andrysek, J., Michelini, A., Eshraghi, A., Kheng, S., Heang, T., & Thor, P. (2021). Functional outcomes and user preferences of individuals with transfemoral amputations using two types of knee joints in under-resourced settings. Prosthetics and orthotics international, 45(6), 463–469. https://doi.org/10.1097/PXR.0000000000000043
- Esfandiari, E., Miller, W., Berardi, A., King, S., Ashe, M. (2021). Telehealth interventions for mobility after lower limb loss, Prosthetics and Orthotics International, https://doi.org/10.1097/PXR.0000000000000075
- Esfandiari, E., Miller, W., Tao, G., Imam, B., Misaghi, E., Lindstrom, H., Payne, M. (2021). Validity of measures for life space mobility and physical activity in older adults with lower-limb amputation. Prosthetics and Orthotics International, 45(5), 428-433. https://doi.org/10.1097/PXR.0000000000000032
- Gholizadeh, H., Baddour, N., Botros, M., Brannen, K., Golshan, F., Lemaire, E. D. (2021). Hip disarticulation and hemipelvectomy prostheses: A review of the literature. Prosthetics and orthotics international, 45(5), 434–439. https://doi.org/10.1097/PXR.0000000000000029
- Misaghi, E., Miller, W., Imam, B., Payne, M., Lindstrom, H. (2021). Walking while talking: validation in older adults with lower-limb amputation. Prosthetics and Orthotics International, 45(6), 457-462. https://doi.org/10.1097/PXR.0000000000000063
Previous Research Highlight
ISPO Canada is pleased to highlight research that is conducted in Canada. Please follow the link below to view the open access article “Incidence and trends of limb amputation in first nations and general population in Saskatchewan, 2006 – 2019.” by Essien et al., (2021).